St Mary's, Brierley Hill
Established as a mission served from Stourbridge in 1854, the present church, designed by E W Pugin, was built in 1873. It occupies a prime position in the High Street.
St Mary's, Brierley Hill.
In the late 1960s major alterations were made to its interior, including the relocation of the high altar, removal of the Sacred Heart and Lady Altars, the laying of a new floor and enclosure of the choir loft. New pews and Stations of the Cross were donated by parishioners.
In the grounds, at the back of the high altar, is the grave of the celebrated Mgr John Humphries, who died in 1988. Nearby are grottoes of Our Lady and the Sacred Heart.
Essential refurbishment of the presbytery and construction of a new parish centre were completed in 2004.
The residential development of the area and the continuing expansion of the Merry Hill shopping complex has attracted younger Catholic families to the locality and boosted Mass attendance.
Our Lady of Lourdes, Kingswinford
In the early years of World War II the local bus service from Kingswinford to Brierley Hill ceased to run on Sundays. This posed a problem for local Catholics. How were they to get to Mass at their parish church, St Mary's at Brierley Hill?
Our Lady of Lourdes, Kingswinford.
Father Frederick James, parish priest from 1926, solved the crisis by setting up a Mass centre at Kingswinford. Thanks to Dr Constance Myatt, a surgery became the Mass centre for the small 40-strong local congregation.
The original church built in 1950 - now the parish centre
Numbers attending grew and soon an ecumenical invitation solved a further problem. The vicar of St Mary's inKingswinford, Rev J H Thompson, offered the use of his parish hall on the corner of Penzer Street. Immediately life was made much more spacious and comfortable – and remained so for the next seven years, during the tenure of three vicars.
Then Fr James acquired land in Summerhill and the foundation stone of a chapel of ease and a multi-purpose building was laid on 22 July 1950.
In 1962, Kingswinford became an independent parish.
Fr Joseph Lanny, who took over as parish priest in 1979, decided to build the present church of Our Lady of Lourdes. Begun in November 1980 it was opened on 5 July 1983. The multi-purpose building became the parish hall.
Our Lady of Lourdes, Old Hill
Our Lady of Lourdes, Old Hill
The original church was founded in a disused button factory in the 1920s. This was used until the late 1970s when it was demolished and a new church built.
The new church was blessed by the Most Reverend Maurice Couve de Murville, Seventh Archbishop of Birmingham, on October 13th 1988 and was later consecrated by the Right Reverend David McGough, Bishop of Chunavia and Auxilliary of Birmingham on 1st November 2009.
Saturday Vigil Mass - 5.00pm at Our Lady of Lourdes, Kingswinford
Sunday Mass: 9.45am at St. Mary's, Brierley Hill and 11.30am at Our Lady of Lourdes, Old Hill
Fr Stephen Fawcett, Parish Priest, can be contacted on 01384 410516.
Archdiocese of Birmingham
St. Mary's comes under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Birmingham. Please follow the link below to their website:
- Parent Briefing Note 7: COVID-19
- Staffing- Academic Year 2020-2021
- Zoom Transition Meetings
- Changes to bubbles
- Remote Learning Survey
- Staff changes
- Emmaus MAC Parent Consultation Statement
- Safer guidance travel for passengers
- Link to Year 6 parent booking form
- Well done to our Year 1 pupil!!
- A fantastic Thank You card for wonderful NHS Staff
- Congratulations to two of our pupils!!
- Information from our School Nurses
- Adverse Weather Conditions
- Hagley RC Supplementary Application Form
- Admissions 2020
- Parent Briefing Note 6: COVID-19
- Briefing Note 5: 11th May 2020
- Parent Update: COVID-19 - 27/04/2020
- CLOSURE OF ST MARY'S CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL - 23/3/2020
- SNOMAC Parent/Carer Letter and Survey (Pre-School, Rec, Y1, Y6)
- Parent Update: COVID-19 - 7/04/2020. FSM Update
- Parent Update: COVID-19 - 27/03/2020
- Parent Update: COVID-19 - 24/03/2020
- Latest Update - 19.03.2020
- Coronavirus - New guidance for households with symptoms
- Coronavirus - (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for education settings
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Update 13/3/2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Update 11/3/2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Update 10/3/2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Further update 10/3/2020
- CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19): Information for parents for news - UPDATED 4/3/2020
- CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19): Information for parents for news
- Safeguarding Message
- Department for Education Coronavirus helpline
- Tuesday 14 July 2020 - 15:00 - 17:00 Report's Evening
- Wednesday 15 July 2020 - 09:00 - 10:30 Year 6 Leavers Assembly
- Friday 17 July 2020 Children break up for Summer 3PM
- Friday 17 July 2020 No after school club
- Friday 17 July 2020 - 09:00 - 10:00 Leaver's Mass - Led by Year 6
- Monday 20 July 2020 INSET DAY