St Mary's Catholic Primary School is a one-form entry Voluntary Aided Catholic Primary School situated in Brierley Hill, close to the Merry Hill Shopping Centre.
We draw Catholic and non-Catholic pupils from the immediate area and Catholic pupils from Old Hill and Kingswinford parishes (about three miles away) where there are no Catholic primary schools.
St Mary's Catholic Primary School.
Our children are at the heart of all that we do. Our aim is to provide the very best education for our children in a Christ-centred setting where all members of our school community are enabled to fulfil their potential and are valued in a secure and safe environment.
The school has the capacity for 252 pupils aged from 3 to 11 years old. There are seven classes and a Pre-School. All classes have access to additional support from Teaching Assistants.
We are a part of the Saint Nicholas Owen Catholic Faith Academy Company. As a church school we are guided by the Birmingham Diocesan Schools Commission. We are closely connected with both Brierley Hill and Kingswinford parishes and have regular masses in school.
Our ethos seeks to promote Christian values and morals whilst being sensitive to the range of cultures present within our school and community.
We are an inclusive school and we welcome pupils from many faiths and cultures. Our Catholic percentage is currently 62%.
At St Mary's school we aim to operate an educational philosophy which:
- Places prayer, liturgy and worship at the heart of school life; encouraging the development of faith of each unique individual within the school's community.
- Recognises the importance of a purposeful link between home, parish, school and community as a preparation for the pupil's role as a Christian in the wider world.
- Strives to make our pupils' experiences of relationships within the school productive and positive and seeks to cherish and develop what is good.
- Promotes the growth and development of the whole person by ensuring that their curriculum experience is within a Catholic setting and where the pupil can acquire skills, knowledge, positive attitudes and Christian moral values.
- Provides a Christ centred setting whereby all can live out the messages of Jesus with love, understanding and care.
Ethos and Aims
Our school aims to develop those values which Catholics believe reflect the gospel of Jesus Christ and the teachings of the Church. This religious ethos is to be found across the whole curriculum and is reflected in all areas of the life of the school.
Christian values permeate each area of experience and learning; in this way we endeavour to promote the formation of the whole person. The overriding aim of the school therefore is the Christian growth of the children, not simply their growth in their own faith, but their growing awareness of the world as a maturing and worshipping Christian.
In order to create an atmosphere which enables true Christianity to grow, we aim:
- To provide a caring, happy environment in which all pupils develop self-confidence and self-respect.
- To provide an environment in which all children can make a worthwhile contribution, where everyone is valued and everyone's needs are respected as important.
- To help the children realise that the school is a praying community, by highlighting the uses of prayer as thanksgiving to God in times of need, both personal and communal.
- To emphasise the Christian ideal of service, by giving the children the opportunity to help people in need, both locally and universally. These Christian values are incorporated in our School Mission Statement, which has been agreed by the Governing Body and the staff.
As from 1st October 2014, St Mary's Catholic Primary School has become part of the Saint Nicholas Owen Catholic Multi Academy Company.
We look forward to ensuring that the Catholic faith journey of our school community is secured, whilst continuing to provide quality Catholic education for all of our pupils.
The schools joining together are:
- Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Primary School, Harborne
- St Ambrose Catholic Primary School, Kidderminster
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Stourbridge
- St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, Brierley Hill
- St Wulstan’s Catholic Primary School, Stourport on Severn
- Hagley Catholic High School, Hagley.
The decision is based on our aim to achieve the best for our schools, students, staff and the Catholic community by securing Catholic education for Catholic children both now and in the future. The proposal has the approval of the Archbishop of Birmingham.
- Monday 2 September 2019 - All day INSET DAY
- Tuesday 3 September 2019 - All day INSET DAY
- Wednesday 4 September 2019 - All day Children Return to School
- Friday 11 October 2019 - All day INSET DAY
- Monday 6 January 2020 - All day INSET DAY
- Thursday 7 May 2020 - All day School Closed for Voting
- Friday 8 May 2020 - All day Bank Holiday for VE Day
- Friday 22 May 2020 - All day INSET DAY
- Monday 20 July 2020 - All day INSET DAY